Thursday, November 5, 2015

Prelude



After staying by my side for almost 28 hours of labor, and just moments before our Anthony entered the world, Dean started tearing up. I told him he couldn't cry yet, there was still work to do! But really, I loved that moment of emotion. It was our very last tender moment as a family of two. It was the conclusion to a beautiful phase of our life and the beginning of an even better chapter. It was a moment full of anticipation, gratitude, and sweet love. I had never loved Dean more than I did right then. 

Earlier this week, we celebrated our wedding anniversary. We drove to a special spot of ours and spent the evening reminiscing about the magic of our courtship and admiring the richness of our life together now. Two short years as husband and wife and an endless list of blessings to count. 

At the top of that list is our wonderful son. President Boyd K. Packer taught, "Romantic love is incomplete; it is a prelude. Love is nourished by the coming of children..." I've only been a parent for a few months, but I can testify this is true. I knew it was true the day our child was born. I knew even before his birth in that sacred moment with Dean when our lives were about to change forever. As real and sincere and wonderful as our love was before, it is deeper now. Gazing together into this new little face that is so much like Dean's, with eyes so much like mine, and a spirit all his own, we cannot help but be drawn closer to one another. 

I remember the moment I realized I loved Dean. Alone up on the bench on a beautiful summer evening, looking out over the valley and contemplating life, what came as an epiphany was probably more of a confession. I was in love with Dean Johnson. However obvious it should have been, my enlightenment was a powerful experience. And my love for him has grown every day since. 

My relationship with Dean has shown me what Elder Jeffrey R. Holland meant when he taught "Believe that your faith has everything to do with your romance, because it does." I can't even begin to explain how this specifically applies to me. Suffice it to say that God brought Dean and me together, being with Dean draws me closer to God, and it is in our marriage that I can become what Heavenly Father would have me be.

Loving Dean, and being loved by him, has been a divine preparation for the mission we are to fulfill together. It has been the sweetest prelude to our life's great work.

1 comment:

Josh and Kensey said...

So beautifully written! Just what I needed:)